Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dogs at last.....

I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get another sketch of our lovely lurcher onto the blog but I suppose I'm biased in thinking she must be one of the most beautiful beasts when there are so  many others.

 I have been working on a commission to do a pencil sketch of another gorgeous and much loved pet, a soft coated wheaten terrier and although I don't know him, I can see from his face that he is quite a character.....


Pencil sketch 



Finally, I've tinted the image with watercolour and I can't help thinking what a fine fellow he must be, a real friend to his lucky owner.

Poppy, our lurcher, provides me with endless hours of drawing opportunities  as she obligingly sleeps between bouts of manic energy.

Pencil drawing in sketch book


Not exactly elegant but comfortable!

 One of her favourite positions is lying on her back with her legs in the air as her chest is so deep it would be uncomfortable for her to lie prone unless on a very deep and soft bed.  Needless to say she has several! 



Repeatedly drawing a subject is a great way of getting comfortable with it, allowing yourself to experiment and the pencil to flow freely.  In the case of an animal, it helps you to understand the anatomy and how the body works together as a whole so I try to take any opportunity I can to really study and record what is there before me. It's always tempting to draw what you think is there rather than what actually IS there so I try and stay in the moment and draw what I see - but I'll be the first to say that's easier said than done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment