Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Moth Sketches

I am doing a bit of exploratory work for our proposed Fenland Book, which nicely ties in with some research from last year, concerning the local willows.  Willows are a vital foodplant for many insect species, including bees of course and some very beautiful moths. I have become more and more interested in moths having watched a couple of moth ID sessions last year and  I am really beginning to appreciate their beauty, diversity and incredible camouflage abilities. The willow it seems hosts well over 150 species of varying shape size and colour.

I am also looking at Fenland moths in general and so am starting off with a few sketches of general moth shapes..an amazing variety I find! These are locally recorded moths so encompass the Great Fen area as well as our small hilly plateau.

many-moths 

Many Moths …pencil on A4 sketchbook.

and a couple of colour note sketches….

2-moths

I do have a small moth trap which I have yet to use so perhaps I will set it up tonight, although I think it is a bit late in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment