Monday, September 1, 2014

Back to the Blog with a Frog: First Sketches

Sue and I are back to our Beautiful Beasts with some exciting plans for this coming year, and with a book on the horizon too. It’s going to be busy!

Frog Woodcut
My Easton Group’s Workshop this week is a simple woodcut. So I have to cut and print a sample. We will hopefully achieve a two colour reduction print, using a spoon to print and water-based inks and acrylics in a day.

frog 3

I am preparing a very simple design to hopefully complete in a day. Frogs are on my mind at the moment as the garden is full of them, from tiny froglets to large adults.

They hide in the undergrowth, in the borders and under the huge leaves of the courgettes. They leap about, all around and under my feet, when I am weeding. They are delightful.

Thumbnail sketches first. I know I want to fill the frame and keep it bold.

Preliminary Sketches.

frog-sketches-1-bg

Sketches 1 A4 sketchbook.

frog-sket-bg

 Sketches 2 A4 sketchbook.

Hmmmm decisions decisions…

No comments:

Post a Comment