Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Fenland Black Bee: The (almost) Finished Piece.

The final piece with some foliage, a suggestion of the birch trees and a view of the distant bird hide. I am dithering about adding a Highland Cow.
The hide is known as“Jon’s Hide” an eco friendly straw bale hide created by Jon Smith one of the restoration officers at the Great Fen project. You can see how the building of the hide progressed here.
The Highland Cattle are there to help manage the land. I included them in my first sketches at the beginning of April. They are good grazers for wet lands and will eat tough weedy plants, keep the vegetation down, break up the ground and so encourage more marsh loving wild flowers. 

bbeejpg2

As I quoted in an earlier post, “artwork is never finished…just abandoned”. At this stage I usually put a picture away for a week or so, out of sight. Then have another look. I might add another leg to the bee… I might add the highland cow…I might play about with the hairs on the bee’s thorax a bit more… but that’s for another time. I shall be back in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment