Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Highland Cattle on Holme Fen

Inspired by Val's beautiful and highly detailed painting of the Black Bee at Holme Fen, I had a few hours sketching in the same area over Easter but unfortunately didn't see one! I freely admit that I may have just missed it as  I'm  a novice and have a lot to learn from Val about her beloved bees. She has spent a long time studying them, and her fantastic 'bee' work really makes me think about their habitat, their complexity and their important place in the world.

Another important species in the world of conservation, which I did see at Holme Fen is the Highland Cow, [even I couldn't miss them....] and the Great Fen project is putting them to good use there.


Highland cattle and calf with 'Jon's hide' behind them

These cattle are perfect for conservation grazing as they will eat tough vegetation  other cattle just wouldn't touch.  Being very hardy, they can live out in all weather and as they are relatively light in weight, they don't poach up the  ground - particularly useful after the last winter and spring we had!

 
At the start of my visit,  the cattle were in the middle of the field so I walked around to 'Jon's hide' and did some sketches of them in the distance. Over time, the grazing of the Highland cattle should encourage a wide range of  plant species such as  orchid and cuckoo flower to become established. This will hopefully introduce different insects, and more small mammals which in turn will increase owls as they will have a rich food source and with the shorter vegetation can detect their prey more easily.
 
 
 
By the end of my visit, the cattle were kind enough to come to the fence and I managed to get some close up sketches and a quick water colour done......
 
 
The calf was particularly eye catching and so inquisitive, but Mum kept a watchful eye on him [or her, difficult to tell at this stage!] as they gradually worked their way across the field again.
 
A good morning sketching and enjoying the beautiful countryside around us and now I must put those pages of sketches to good use and think about a completed painting of Highland Cattle......
 
For more lovely photos of Highland cattle on Darlow's Farm, part of the Great Fen project,   just follow the link  http://www.greatfen.org.uk/discovery-zone/gallery/full/210?field_mm_category_tid=578
 

No comments:

Post a Comment