Friday, May 9, 2014

Soil erosion on the Fen....

While I was waiting for the Highland cattle to come a little closer to Jon's hide at Holme Fen, I wandered around the wooded area that backs on to it and was fascinated to see how the peat around the roots of the trees has dried up and shrunk down in level.


You can see how the trees have developed additional roots for stability but in some places you can view right through to the other side.

I couldn't resist sketching this wonderful shape but had to finish when the back legs of my stool had sunk so low into the soft peat that I was almost looking up into the canopy of the tree. I self consciously heaved myself up before I ended up flat on my back and thought yet again how incredibly adaptable nature can be.


 
The fox was unfortunately just a figment of my imagination but I like to think he would have been there if I hadn't been so conspicuous......
 
 
 
Rough sketches in gouache for my painting which hopefully will have moved on before my week is up........
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment