Friday, March 7, 2014

Adder woodcut: a bit more development

I have returned to the adder woodcut and made another plate to add some foliage to the image. It is, as Laura said, not a difficult process but it is a process, and requires you to work in a methodical set of steps, even before you get to the cutting.

My original idea was to look at the patterns of the grass, leaves and the snake’s markings but that had to be simplified for the workshop day.

_bg-3--col-bkgroud 
Workshop day design with a shaded background. 3 plates 

Now I can add another plate and try different colour combinations.
That is the joy of making separate plates and not doing a reduction. I now have 4 plates. One background, one snake, one snake pattern and one leaves.

4th-colour-block-bg

My new woodblock plate with foliage.

new-plate-4-bg newplate-with-bkground-bg 

The new block proof. Background with leaves.

adder-6-bg

Four Block Print…. an many many possibilities

No comments:

Post a Comment