Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ladybird, ladybird fly away home

 
This week I've been working on an image that developed from an exercise in being bold with charcoal and shapes.  The original images led me to think of making a print and once that process gets involved, it's inevitable that there will be twists and turns which are always surprising....  
 
 
 
 
Did you know that we have 46 species of ladybirds in Britain? I didn't until I started looking up information about this lovely little creature. We're very happy to see them on the allotment as they are voracious eaters of aphids, apparently they can eat up to 5000 of them in their one year lifetime although I would love to know how that's been established!
 
These small coloured pencil sketches led me to develop the ladybird theme but I knew I wanted to make it more abstract when it was transferred to the vinyl block
 
 
It was then a matter of  making an initial print  to see how the design would appear
 
 
30cm x30cm print on Japanese paper
 
 
I liked the result but wanted to experiment more with the image
 
 
30cm x 30cm Red and Black print on Japanese paper
 
 
 
 
Close up of ladybird, black on red background
 
It's interesting how  different colours and masking out areas can completely change the 'feel' of the image,  so I'll continue to experiment with it

No comments:

Post a Comment