Monday, April 28, 2014

Back to the Bee

My Beautiful Beast this week continues with the Black Bee, Bombus ruderatus, Reading University and Friends of the Earth’s Iconic Bee for the East Midlands. (See my “A Fenland Bee” post)

By my last post here I had roughed out a design .. which I then changed. Such is life.
I decided to change the pose and design to include the odd little pied shield bug which I had found on the same plants at Holme Fen.

bbsketch-bg 
The foliage rough including the two bugs

I got down to painting the bee last week: (see “The Black Bee Continued”)

  new-bee-bg

Almost finished bee.

bbsketch-w-b

Sketch and painted bee, roughly combined to check composition. It will be about 10 inches square.

And I did a bit of extra shieldbug research. They are very interesting and attractive little “true” bugs, with a staged lifecycle going through at least 3 instars.

pied-shield-b

The neat, design-y shield bug instar stages.

This week I will be finishing the bugs and the foliage. There is another bee to come as well. A new drawing of a special Bombus hypnorum.

No comments:

Post a Comment