Saturday, March 15, 2014

Good intentions......

I had the best of intentions to finish this week's blog with a print of my kingfisher but I realised that it wasn't a good idea to rush the process as I am trying something different this time.

Using mixed media I hope to produce an image which will be interesting and different from reduction or multi block prints but as this is a new process for me I need to take my time on it.  In the meantime, I wanted to share some images I've used as research for the project, one watercolour and some pencil sketches of Kingfishers in flight - their body shapes are just amazing....


 
A wary little Kingfisher ....in watercolour
 
 
 
 
Pencil sketches of the birds in flight
 
The shapes of the wings are very beautiful and remind me of humming birds as  they hover in front or over their selected flower. I've never seen a kingfisher hovering over the water but if a suitable perch isn't present, they will hover over the water to observe their prey.
 
I was pleased to read that both parents share the incubation of eggs,  which can take up to  3 weeks and another 3 weeks plus for the baby Kingfishers to fledge so they have their work cut out for them.
 
 
Closer sketch of a hovering parent, eager to find some food for hungry babies....
 
I'll continue with the lino print and have the finished picture ready next time.....trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment