Saturday, February 22, 2014

Water beasts....

I'm starting my post a little early this week as other commitments mean that I can't post until later on in the week but Val is kindly letting me butt in.

 After looking at bats, I've been thinking about moving from beasts of the air to beats of the water.... and unknowingly both Val and myself have been working on mono prints. Of course, it's great minds thinking alike!!.........

The wonderful thing about mono prints is the depth of expression, the unpredictability of the outcome and the variety of end results which can be achieved even when using  a similar process.

  Hippo on Japanese paper, hand print, black ink
 
The texture which can be achieved with hand printing is very satisfying as you can vary it according to the pressure used, unlike the effect you get when using a press.
 
 


 
Both these prints were done using a bamboo baren, but the first was done with pressure applied directly over the paper, and the second print was taken directly from the inked glass plate where the indented lines in the ink  have left an impression.
 
I like the images, which I think look rather like cave paintings and will continue to work on the process to see how I can introduce colour and perhaps more texture........
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment